Tuesday 5 July 2011

Review: Lucas' Papaw Ointment

Lucas' Papaw Ointment 25g RM 18.90

I am plagued with dry hands almost all my life and I do have severe peeling around my nail area, which bleeds rather frequently. I must admit that when the skin is dried up and peeling, more often than not, I would nip them as it really irritates me that much! By doing this often, it had somehow developed into a habit...a bad one I must say. I had tried many handcreams and ointments but Savlon antiseptic cream seemed to be the one that worked for me. It gently calms and heals the affected area but it sadly, it doesn't offer moisturization. So, as I was browsing through the shelves on my trip to my favourite pharmacy, I spotted Lucas' Papaw Ointment and it seem that this ointment is traditionally used as a local topical application for symptomatic relief of minor cuts, wounds and insect bites. Seemed decent and why not, I decide to purchase it, in hopes that it will be a better replacement for my Savlon.

The product background

T.P.Lucas, after years of research as a botanist with professional experience, stated in his 1906 handbook that he believed that the papaw was the finest natural medicine yet discovered. He believed that the properties of the papaw tree (Carica Papaya) made it one of the most outstanding trees in the world.
Of the thousands of specimens which passed through his hands, that which commanded his closest attention and to which he devoted special study was the papaw Tree. T.P. Lucas documented many cures with remedies made from the papaw tree.

Lucas' Papaw Ointment is a world-wide proven remedy of over 100 years standing. Lucas Papaw Ointment has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties and may be used as a local topical application on the following.
  • Minor Burns
  • Chafing
  • Cuts
  • Gravel Rash
  • Minor Open Wounds
  • Nappy Rash
  • Scalds
  • Sunburn
  • Splinters and Thorns
  • Temporary relief of the symptoms of dermatitis and eczema
Lucas Papaw ointment is Listed on the Australian Register of Therapeutic Goods.
Point to note: The petroleum jelly that is used in Lucas Papaw Ointment meets the purity and safety standards of the United Stated FDA and the European Pharmacopeia. It is pharmaceutical grade petroleum jelly (http://www.penreco.com/pdf/letters/Petrolatum_EU_Cosmetic.pdf) that is tested and screened for the level of total polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons
My Experience

When I went back to find out more about this product, I was dismayed to find that it contained petroleum jelly. Since I started my journey toward using more natural ingredients, I have tried to stay away from anything that is synthetic, mineral or petroleum based. It is funny that on the tube, petroleum jelly isn't mentioned in their ingredient list. It only mentioned potassium sorbate 0.1 mg/g as preservative..that's it! Hmm... a misleading ingredient information that I am not so happy with.

It's a waste to discard the the whole tube just because it contains petroleum jelly, right? I might as well use it to see if it works. On my first night, I use it on my nail and cuticle areas and surprisingly, I only need to use a size smaller than a pea. It does feel a bit greasy and it does smell like Vasaline + Fermented Papaya. Weird. Anyway, I have to say that it does keep my dry peeling areas moisturised throughout the night. Pretty happy with it.

Though I have been consistantly using it every night for 1 week, I noticed that it did not heal and the only thing it does is keeping it moisturised. My affected area heals within days when I use Savlon but with Lucas Papaw, the affected area remains the same. I even tried this ointment on one insect bite and it didn't really offer me relief from the itch. I have to turn to my faithful balm to ease the itch.

Some claim that this ointment is great for dry and chapped lips. Though I tried it for one night and it did keep my lips moisturised, I would rather use my Moogoo Lipbalm instead because it contains more natural ingredients.

Overall

Personally, I have mixed feelings about this product. I don't like that it contained petroleum jelly( though it is a pharmaceutical grade ) and the misleading ingredient information. I don't think it works on healing my dry peeling hands and insect bites. However, I like it that it kept the dry peeling areas and lips moisturised. I would give this product a rating of 2 out of 5. It is unlikely that I will repurchase this ointment again as there are many other 'papaw ointments' out there that do uses natural ingredients than petroleum jelly.

This item was purchased by me for my personal purposes. This review is based on my honest and personal experience with this product and is not influenced by any parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...