Monday 7 May 2012

Do you use feminine washes?

( Image from freefotopia.com )

I first got to know about feminine washes from my cousin sister when I was staying with her during my college days. Before that, I don't even know the existence of feminine washes! I was brought up with the knowledge that 'all we need is soap'. I use the soap for my entire body, face and even hair! Can you believe it? Anyway, those were the days.

So can you imagine the first time when I was introduced to feminine washes? I was like "What?" You even need special gel for that part of the area? I was intrigued and started to use them....and I never looked back.



I have been using feminine washes regularly since I was first introduced. I don't use douches ( those that need 'special cleansing devices'..I always go back to those in liquid form that washes externally. I must admit that feminine washes has become a part of my everyday routine..it has become as important as my facial cleanser to me.

I have tried many, many washes and the worst that I've tried was a brand called Lactacyd, while the best that I've tried ( and still using ) is Sebamed Feminine Intimate Wash ( p.h 3.8 ). 

However, I have read some articles that state that feminine hygiene products are almost always unnecessary. 

"Feminine washes are often marketed to women as a means of cleaning out the insides of the vaginal canal, but they can be more harm than good, according to the United States Department of Health and Human Services( HHS ). Inserting any products into the vagina may disturb the natural bacteria that keep the area healthy" ( Source from HERE )

As I read the article carefully, the device that they are mentioning is douches. The word "douche" means to wash or soak in French. Douching is washing or cleaning out the vagina (birth canal) with water or other mixtures of fluids. Most douches are prepackaged mixes of water and vinegar, baking soda, or iodine. You can buy these products at drug and grocery stores. The mixtures usually come in a bottle and can be squirted into the vagina through a tube or nozzle. ( Source here )

Then...how to clean?

According to this sourceyour natural discharge and oils are an important form of protection against infections, according to the University of Iowa. The vagina produces its own natural discharges as part of it self-cleaning process. Excessive washing, douching, or using harsh cleaners and soaps strip away this protective barrier, leaving you more vulnerable to infections that cause odor and discomfort. Rinse your external genitals with warm water and use only a mild soap if necessary. Never attempt to clean inside the vagina.

After reading all these articles, I do feel a bit freaked out actually. Thank God I have never used douches and only wash externally. Though all the reading sounds intimidating, I still believe that personal female hygiene is important. To be on a safe side, I now change my routine to washing my area as suggested by them with warm water and use my trusty mild feminine wash sparingly. 

So, do you use feminine washes on a regular basis and do you think that it does more harm than good? Do share!

16 comments:

  1. I don't use feminine wash but my friend says it's good for us females. I did ask my doctor she said a very mild soap or mild baby wash and water is good enough. I have never douche and my doctor discourages all her patients to even with choric yeast infections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dawn! I agree on the mild soap but some baby washes do contain SLS's so one need to be aware. I understand that p.h level is also important. Washes with high p.h level is not suitable as feminine washes.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the tips, I will look for Sebamed Feminine Intimate Wash! That Lactacyd you were mentioning gets a lot of advertising here in my country, I haven't tried it though.
    I did read about those concerns in many articles but I don't know, I can't leave my private areas unwashed with special products. and I think there are some special ingredients that work well for this area, like lactic acid, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alexa! Due to personal preferences, I choose sebamed over Lactacyd. You may try out Lactacyd if you want cos it may be suitable to you.:)

      Delete
  3. I bought Lactacyd, but the instructions made it sound so troublesome that I simply left it sitting on the table to collect dust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jyoan! Really? I thought that the liquid is just to wash externally, just like our body washes...unless your Lactacyd is using a douche.:P

      Delete
  4. I am not unfamiliar with feminine washes yet I do not use them either. I have been told that we do not need to wash our private parts on purpose, simply let the warm water rinse over while you are having a shower. You were right that our vigina discharge is a natural self-defense mechanism that protect this delicate area, and hence excessive washing would only make that part more vulnerable. Also, absolutely no soaps as it disrupts the pH balances, which causes irritation and ichiness :S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! Just as it is written:P

      Delete
    2. Actually, lifting up the hood of your clitoris and scrubbing out the smegma is advised every once in a while. Just like how uncircumcised men should clean underneath their foreskin, we should clean our nooks and crannies too. I just use a mild soap and water though.

      Delete
    3. Actually, lifting up the hood of your clitoris and scrubbing out the smegma is advised every once in a while. Just like how uncircumcised men should clean underneath their foreskin, we should clean our nooks and crannies too. I just use a mild soap and water though.

      Delete
    4. Actually, lifting up the hood of your clitoris and scrubbing out the smegma is advised every once in a while. Just like how uncircumcised men should clean underneath their foreskin, we should clean our nooks and crannies too. I just use a mild soap and water though.

      Delete
    5. Just to let you know, some of us uncircumcised guys use feminine wash as well to keep the smegma away and feel fresher throughout the day

      Delete
  5. I use soap and water.Im 37 and i have 3 children and not one yeast infection in my life.Never have i used a douche or femine wash.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use VWash Plus. It's great intimate wash. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Feel fresh and confident with a feminine wash. Most of these easy-to-use hygiene washes are for women of any age and can be used any time of the month. Feminine freshness washes eliminate the bacteria that can cause unpleasant odors, leaving you feeling clean and refreshed. Source: naeleens.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agreed with you but not fully as there are many other companies offering intimate wash online. Everyone has different skin so its good to try them also.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...