Tuesday 9 August 2011

Review and DIY: Garden of Wisdom Neroli and Rose Damascan Hydrosol.

Neroli Hydrosol 30ml US 3.70/ RM 11.50
Rose Damascan Hydrosol 30ml US  4.25/ RM 13.20

What are Hydrosols? Hydrosols are sometimes referred as floral waters and is the aromatic water that remains after producing an essential oil via steam or water distillation. The water which is used for the oil distillation has a wonderful aroma and even has some medicinal properties in it. Hydrosol also offers some therapeutic benefits and is also widely used for aromatherapy purposes.

Hydrosols are versatile to use and can be added to creams or lotions in replacement of water. Some may use it as facial toners, body spritz or as a wetting agent with clays as your homemade mask.

Neroli Hydrosol

Neroli is one of the most desirable natural aroma used in skincare products. It's delicate floral scent makes it light and feminine that promotes happy feelings and relieving depression and anxiety. In short, it is calming. In skincare, it works as a gentle yet effective astringent, helping in balancing skin.

Neroli Hydrosol is a good, less expensive alternative to those who want to enjoy the benefits of neroli. It makes a good toner for mature and oily prone skin as it has anti-bacterial properties.

Rose Damascan Hydrosol

Rose Damascan Hydrosol acts as a humectant ( retaining or preserving moisture ) that helps to balance the skin. It is suitable for normal, dry, sensitive, mature, dehydrated and combination skin. It helps to regulate sebum and with it's anti-baterial properties, it helps to keep acne at bay. It also helps in tighten pores too! In skin care, many use this ingredient for anti-aging products. For aromatheraphy uses, Rose Hydrosol is balancing, calming, rejuvenating, cooling and sensual too. 

I am currently using Dermalogica's Multi Active Toner and would like to change to a more natural alternative. I have heard and read that many are using hydrosols as a replacement to their normal toners. Since I have dry, dehydrated and occasionally oily T-zone, I would opt for rose damascan hydrosol. Plus, I like the anti-aging and pore tightening properties it gives. However, I am also drawn to neroli because of the fragrance and the balancing act it gives.

After some research, I find that many DIY-ers mix both neroli and rose hydrosol together. So I have decided to do the same too! Besides, this is a 20% dupe of MVO Anti Aging Mist...*shhhhhh*.

My Experience

Yay! I did my very first, no brainer DIY hydrosol by mixing 50% of neroli and 50% rose damascan hydrosol into a amber spritzer bottle.*Clap,clap,clap* Now, who says we can't do our own skincare at home?

I started using my own DIY hydrosol for a month now and I am liking it. I use this every night as a face mist before applying my facial oils because I like the cooling and rejuvenating sensation it gives. By the way, all hydrosols are advised to be kept refrigerated to keep it fresh because it does not contain any preservatives.

During the first week when I started using it, I do feel that after a few minutes, my high cheeks area would be tight. I initially thought that this is a drying effect. What I come to know is that it is the pore tightening effects that I am experiencing. Yay! Pore tightening is working, thanks to the rose damascan hydrosol.

Truth to be told, I am not a big fan of rose scented products. However, I am glad that the scent of the rose hydrosol is not too overwhelming. For the neroli, yes, I am in love with the scent! It is wonderfully floral ( not the pungent type of floral ) and feminine.

Overall

I think this an effective and inexpensive toner to use and this is going to be my staple. For a 60ml face mist, which cost me about US 8.00 / RM 25.00, good to use for 6 months, I think this is a steal! Though this mix is a 20% dupe of the MVO Anti Aging Mist, I think this is worth it too. Because of this a wallet friendly alternative and an effective toner for my skin type, I am giving this a 5 out of 5.

To those who want to try this at home or to any aspiring DIY-ers, do give this a go. ( I get all my raw ingredients from Garden of Wisdom )

This item was purchased by me for my personal purposes. This review is based on my honest and personal experience with this product and is not influenced by any parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...