( Picture from geekologie.com )
( My skin does have a habit of giving me scarred acne and it takes months for it to vanish completely from my skin. ) I was curious to know what can actually contribute to this great condition.
Some of you may know that I have been battling with constipation problem for months. In the month of October, I did a detox programme because I just feel I need to flush out all the toxins that are accumulated within me. ( Sorry for the gross explanation ) This is the 2nd time I did this programme and it never fails to do it's job well.
From that time until now, my skin is looking great and I feel fabulous. Even more so, I am happy to announce too that I have been able to go to the toilet almost everyday. Now, I am wondering, could the detox programmed have helped my skin to be clear of acne?
I did a little research over the net and I found this very interesting article that is related to this post. Here are some excerpts from it.
Acne is a very common skin disorder. Almost 95% of all people suffer from acne at some point in their life. The major cause of acne is because of hormonal fluctuation which every indivisual undergoes during puberty. The hormonal fluctuations can cause the sebaceous gland in the skin to produce excessive sebum which causes the skin to have acne. The other factors that could lead to acne are many these range from poor hygiene to excessive consumption of trans fat in the diet.
Research suggest that constipation can also accelerate and aggravate acne in certain individuals. This is because during constipation, excessive toxins are created in the body which leads to acne out breaks. Thus the people who suffer from constipation have a good chance to get acne.
And yes. This confirms my curiosity.. constipation can lead to acne.
Now, let's look at what I did to keep my skin clear:
1) Detoxification- I did a detox programme that lasts a week. I was following a diet of incorporating lots of vegetables and fruits ( fibers ) and only started to intake protein( chicken or fish ) in the last 4 days of the programme. Along with this, I have to take some fiber drinks from the programme too.
2) Water- Drinking lots of water is so essential and I think that contributed most to my constipation problem was my lack of intake of water. I am forcing myself to drink 2-3 litres of water per day.
3) Bring on the greens..and colours too- Even after the programme, I have been consuming a lot of vegetables and fruits. Not only does it improve my consistency , I know I am getting loads of vitamins and phyto nutrients too that are good for my skin and health.
4) Consume as much fresh food as possible-Eat more fresh veggies, fruits or white meat and eat less boxed, canned and bagged processed foods.
5) Taking probiotics- I personally find that taking yoghurt drinks helps a lot and I find that my bowel movement became more frequent! Research conducted has shown that probiotics is beneficial in treating constipation. The WHO defines probiotics as live micro-organisms that give health benefits. They are friendly and good bacteria that aid your digestive system when you take them.
6) Exercise- Accelerates circulation, which speeds up excretion of waste. My type of exercise is-doing housework like mopping the floor, cleaning the house.
7) Be less stressed- I am unable to go to the toilet when I am stressed out. This is as true as it gets! Every morning, I have to sit calmly down and just wait until nature calls....
8) Skincare regime- Maintain a good skincare regime by incorporating hydration into your skin.